Tuesday 27 September 2011

MEDIA ARTS: The Secret Side of Myself

Here is the final product of the "Alter Ego/Hidden Self" assignment. I'm quite happy with it, I think.
Reflection:
1. This picture shows many different sides of me that a lot of people don't know about. For example, the main focus of the picture is of me casting a Patronus (in my case, a fox) because I love Harry Potter, and that is one of the more important spells that they cast throughout the books and films. A Patronus is unique to each person who casts it as well, as it reflects the individual's personality. Mine being a fox represents that I am clever and independent. The airplane, earth, and Eiffel Tower represent my desire to travel around the world and learn many different languages. I want to go on exchange next year to Spain or Italy so I can learn more about the cultures in Europe and pick up a new language. The book at the top, paper, drawing, and quill are about my love for reading, writing, and drawing, but there are also deeper meanings to things, such as the quill, which has a more hidden significance. The quill symbolizes the past, and how sometimes I wish that we weren't as dependent on our electronic things as we are today. Don't get me wrong, I'm a technology freak, but sometimes things like receiving a letter are simple but mean so much more than receiving a text message. There are a few other pictures depicted on the assignment that show things I want to do or things I like, and I think that the overall image conveys that I am a bit of a dreamer with some practical future plans and some unrealistic fantasies that I keep locked up in my imagination and close to my heart, which is exactly how I am, how my 'hidden self' is.

2. I found that the image of me casting my Patronus was the most successful because I had to do a fair bit of editing to make it turn out the way it did, and I think the work paid off. In the original picture I was just holding a silvery stick, which I replaced with a wand in the final picture. Also, the smoke brushes were very useful in making it seem like I really did have something coming out of my wand, and I think that that part of the picture turned out very successfully.

3. I wish that the Eiffel tower looked more like it was connected to the earth, but because it is blocked by the fox's tail it looks more like it is simply floating in the air. I tried moving it to different locations but it never seemed to turn out right, as it was either too small, too big, too tall, or couldn't be seen. However, when I took it out of the picture entirely it looked blank in the space where it had been. I think perhaps I needed a different picture instead of the Eiffel tower there.

4. As I mentioned above, if I did the project again I would probably find another picture instead of the Eiffel tower to put on the earth, perhaps a different landmark that would be just as recognisable. I'd also add in something to do with Anime, like a picture I drew myself, because that is something I love to do and many of my binder papers have Anime doodled in the margins. I might also take out the second picture of me in the corner and find something else, because I find that the second picture takes a bit away from the first photo of myself. Perhaps that would be where my Anime picture would go....

No comments:

Post a Comment